Safety on the way to school
School safety begins before children arrive at school, and it doesn’t end until they arrive safely back home.
- Use reflectives and lights. Place them visible on ex the backpack or around the arms or legs – like on both sides
- Use the safest way – not the quickest
- Teach your child the way to school and walk it together
- Use a reflective vest, which has visible colors with a large space of wide reflectives
- Teach your child the basic traffic rules – the different on stop and go, how you cross the road, look side-to-side etc.
- Never stand still, but move you a little bit, then your reflectives and lights are visible to others
- Always move against the traffic, then you can see the cars ahead
- Go home early, then you have the time to orientates in the traffic
- As a parent be a good example in traffic. Your child copies your behaviour
- See if there are other children your child can walk together with. There is safety in numbers